A new museum in the Baltic Sea region
The University of Greifswald and the Hanseatic city of Greifswald initiated the ambitious project of bringing a State Museum to the Bay of Greifswald.
The city provided the real estate and its municipal collections; the university contributed its most valuable art treasures. And two strong partners – the federal government and the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania – agreed to support the project.
The Pomeranian State Museum Foundation was established in 1996. The first building to open was the Picture Gallery in 2000. On 4 June 2005, the entire institution, consisting of six houses and four outdoor facilities, was opened to the public.
Against the contextual background of Pomerania’s eventful history, the Pomeranian State Museum can only operate in close cooperation with both Polish and Scandinavian institutions. For this reason, specialists from Poland, Sweden, and Denmark are involved in the committees. In addition to presenting Pomeranian regional and cultural history, the museum has also established itself as a meeting place for cross-border projects, especially for children and young people.
Foundation Board of Trustees
- Dr Stefan Fassbinder (Chairman), University and Hanseatic City of Greifswald
- Susanne Bowen, Ministry of Science, Culture, Federal and European Affairs Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
- Nina Katarina Karlsson, Swedish Embassy in Berlin
- Gero Dimter, Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Dr Susanne Olbertz, Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media
- Margrit Schlegel, Pommersche Landsmannschaft (Homeland Association of Pomerania)
- Prof. Dr Kilian Heck, University of Greifswald (as Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board)
- Guido Wendt, State of Schleswig-Holstein
- Prof. Dr Katharina Riedel, University of Greifswald
- Magdalena Szuber-Zasacka, Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Berlin
- Jesper Schou-Knudsen, Danish Embassy in Berlin
Board of Directors
- Dr Ruth Slenczka (Chairperson), Pomeranian State Museum
- Jeannette von Busse, University and Hanseatic City of Greifswald
- Dorthe Hartmann, University of Greifswald
Scientific Advisory Board
- Prof. Dr Kilian Heck (Chairman), University of Greifswald
- Prof. Dr Thomas Stamm-Kuhlmann, University of Greifswald
- Prof. Dr Mathias Niendorf, University of Greifswald
- Prof. Dr Rafał Makała, University of Gdansk
- Dr Ralph Gleis, Neue Nationalgalerie Berlin
- Prof. Dr Isabelle Dolezalek, University of Greifswald
- Prof. Dr Ruth Schilling, University of Bremen/German Maritime Museum Bremerhaven